Thing (12): Cloud Computing

June 8, 2010

Today’s class talked about cloud computing. I hadn’t really heard this term before, but it seems to be a technology that I use a lot. In class we had to edit a Google document by adding screenshots to the text. The hardest part of that exorcise was getting my “Print Screen” button to work, but otherwise it was very straightforward. Like with the previous topic, I don’t see Google Docs being immediately useful to me, but it may be good to know about for the future. To be honest, I don’t fully understand what cloud computing is, even after reading the Wikipedia article on it. From what I get of it, cloud computing is a system where one rents space on someone else’s server, so they do not need to host and maintain what they upload to that server themselves. Something like Google Docs allows multiple users (if invited) to edit a single document in a similar way that you edit a wiki.

There is also something called the “7th International Cloud Expo” that will be held November 1-4 in Santa Clara, California. It seems like a fairly big deal for something I never heard about. Their site is pretty amazing looking. This is what they have to say about the expo from their homepage: “No one can take full advantage of cloud computing without first becoming familiar with the latest issues and trends, which is why the organizing principle of the 7th International Cloud Expo on November 1-4, 2010, is to ensure – through an intensive four-day schedule of keynotes, general and breakout sessions, and our bustling Expo Floor – that attending delegates leave the Santa Clara Convention Center with abundant resources, ideas and examples they can apply immediately to leveraging the Cloud, helping them to maximize performance, minimize cost and improve the scalability of their Enterprise IT endeavors.”

I also found a “Cloud Computing for Dummies” book, so if I get really curious about what exactly cloud computing is, I can always go to the library.

Categories: Uncategorized.