Thing }14{ : Awareness Tools

June 10, 2010

Today’s topic is about awareness tools. I honestly have never had a problem with adapting to technological change. It only took me a few seconds to figure out the new e-mail system when we shifted from the old EagleLink mail to WindowsLive. It only took me a few hours to dump Internet Explorer, decide I hated Firefox and adapt to the incredible shiny Google Chrome browser. I recently got rid of my old 15 inch laptop that ran Windows XP and bought a media laptop with a 17 inch screen and Windows 7. I have also never gotten a headache when switching between the ever expanding set of game consoles sitting in the corner of the family room.
When it comes to the internet I have a few websites that I regularly visit. I usually find new sites by recommendation from people on the forums I visit. I don’t really see the relevance of awareness tools for me, but let’s look at them anyway. Typing in awareness tools into Google didn’t really give me the results I needed, so I decided to look at some of the sites provided on the class blog.
The first I looked at was Slashdot. I used to read Slashdot when I first discovered the internet in middle school. It looks a lot different from what I remember. I looked for a page with a short summary of what the site is about. This page would usually be on a FAQ page, but their FAQ page is rather daunting and unhelpful in that arena. I guess I don’t need one, since it is quite obviously a site where users submit technology related news stories and other users comment on them.
I talked very briefly about Google News in Thing (11).
Fark is a site that I have heard about, but never visited myself. Their FAQ  page was a little more helpful than Slashdot’s. The first mini-paragraph tells you what the site is about, “The first thing you should know is that Fark.com isn’t a Weblog. Fark.com, the Web site, is a news aggregator and an edited social networking news site. Every day Fark receives 2,000 or so news submissions from its readership, from which we hand-pick the funny and weird notable news — and not-news — of the day.”
I actually think that I might visit Fark again, because it seems like a pretty humorous and cool site, but I don’t know if I am ready to change my opinion on awareness tools.

Categories: Uncategorized.